Hello Dear Student,
Both subjects are good. if you want to go for MSc Biotech it is a narrow field, you have fewer options if we compare to Biological Science. In this, You will get MSc Biotech degree and after that, you can go for research further you can opt out industrial as well as medical jobs.
However, if you opt out MSc in Biological Science You can go all above fields as well as you can also fill the form for Assistant professor because they prefer this degree.
I hope You can understand which option is better for you.
MSc in Biological Science or Biotechnology, Which is Better For You?
Career Options with MSc Biological Science
M. Sc is the postgraduate degree program in Science which enables the students to use their knowledge in different areas. After completing a bachelor degree, you can pursue a master degree in science. It is the best choice for science graduate students. The scope of M. Sc is very much demanding & you can gain a respectable job in this area after completing the program with good grades.
There are various specializations that one can pursue in M. Sc program. In each and every specialization, opportunities are available in Medicine, chemical, petrochemical & Polymer industries. After passing a master degree in science, you can go for a research study in top organizations such as BAARC, ISRO, etc. You can also work in government & private sectors in various technical & non-technical posts.
Masters degrees in Biological Sciences explore the nature, development and behaviour of living organisms, from plants and animals to microorganisms and fungi. They provide expertise in advanced branches of biology as well as other applied fields. This discipline is as diverse as life itself, exploring all aspects of human, animal, plant and microbiology. Some courses also cross over into other disciplines, with specialisms including Biotechnology, Biophysics and Sport and Exercise Science.
A program may be either taught or research-based, with M. Sc, M Res and M. Phil qualifications available, as well as Postgraduate Certificates and Diplomas. Graduates of the Master’s program Biological Sciences are well prepared for a career in fundamental or applied research, or as a trained professional.
Below you find the various sectors where our graduates start their career:
- PhD research
- Policy and Management
- Marketing and communication
- Institutions that offer these courses are:-
- Department of Science (Christ University) – Bangalore
- Miranda House – Delhi
- Lovely Professional University, Punjab
- Madras Christian College(MCC) – Chennai
- Hindu College – Delhi
- Sri Venkateswara College – Delhi
So basically biological Science is a broad generalised field. You must pursue masters in such core subjects only if you are aiming research or lectureship. I am saying so, as for both these career options, you will have to clear the entrances that cover the broad range of questions. The entire biological Sciences. And MSC. Biological Sciences will give you exactly that
However, if you want your career to be oriented towards a company life, you just choose an applied subject like biotechnology, biochemistry, bioinformatics or others. As many companies, involved in enzyme and reagent production, biotechnological apparatus production etc recruit MSC. Passouts for the jobs.
What are the Career Options with MSc Biotechnology?
For getting job opportunities in the Biotechnology sector, it is a little tough as the biotechnology industry is not grown like any other industries in India. It is many times necessary to do the PhD in Biotechnology to get better job opportunities as the major career starts after PhD only. Currently, you can work as a teacher to the class of 12th can teach a subject like Biology (zoology and botany). this can be done for the time being until getting another job.
You can also appear for the NET and SET exam for getting the eligibility for becoming the Professor in college.
On the basis of graduation, there are many opportunities available like banking, UPSC and state services examination. But for this, you need to have more patience and study hard. one can get success if his focus is clear about the same.
Some of the career options with MSc Biotechnology you could pursue are.
1. Further study: You can opt to study a PhD in Biotechnology if you would like. A UGC-NET/ CSIR score is essential for PhD admission and a UGC-JRF score is required to get you a monthly stipend. After a PhD, you can work at universities or colleges as a lecturer/ professor and a researcher.
2. Medical employment: You can be placed in the medical field like the hospital and private clinics and research centre, if you have studied Medical lab technology or biomedical engineering. This can get you a job in operating and handling patients with complex medical instruments like the CT scanner, X-ray and many more.
3. Management: You can also consider going into HR/ Marketing careers in life science companies like pharma companies. But this role completely deviates you from Biotech and gets you into the management side of biotech companies.
4. Healthcare professions: You can work in a health care research centre that involves medical transcription and other professional services. You can also work at The diabetes center, cancer research centre.
5. Education: As said in the 1st point, you can get into an education centre if you would like. You can also go right now into employemnt at colleges with a Masters degree only. But this requires you to have written and passed UGC-NET/ UGC-SET score or a UGC-LEC to be able to teach with a Masters degree only.
6. Computer/ IT: finally you can also get employment in software industries that run life sciences projects. You can do medical coding, medical transcription and also do molecule designing using softwares.
Thanks for Reading MSc in Biological Science or Biotechnology, Which is Better For You?
MBBS From Abroad | Best IIT JEE Coaching Centres Delhi | How to Make Money Online | Best Business Directory For Your Business | Urgent Digital Marketing For Your Business | Best SEO Expert For Your Business | Best IIT Coaching in Aligarh | Top IIT JEE Coaching Agra | Best IIT NEET Coachings Mathura |