What is Inversion in the English Language? Know everything in this post.
Table of Contents
When we use the adverb in the starting of the sentence for emphasis, we call it Inversion.
Subject + verb + ……
Adverb + verb + subject ……
Normal – He hardly studies.
Inverted – Hardly does he study.
Normal – He never goes to temple.
Inverted – Never does he go to temple.
- Round the corner went Jacob.
- Under a tree was sitting a lady.
- Seldom had I seen such a healthy baby.
- Rarely is she absent from duty.
- Not only did he beat her but also killed her.
- Not only did she watch TV but she also cooked meal.
- Not only does he rob her but he also smashed everything.
- No sooner had she seen her husband than she hugged him.
- No sooner did he see the dead body of his wife than he burst into tears.
Going to add soon…..
If you liked the post,,, please comment.
How to use Some and Any in English Sentences | How to use Among and Amid in Sentences | Articles in the English Language | Top Reasons to Learn English | Yes No Questions in the English Language | Stylistic Devices Elipsis | Stylistic Devices – Metaphor | Figures of Speech Zeugma | Start Learning English Today | Master the Conditional Sentences Now | What is Inversion | What is Gerund |